Last updated on December 13, 2008.
At Hikma Books the protection of your personal information has always been a top priority. Hikma's Policy regarding the collection, use and disclosure, if any, of personal information can be broken down into the 10 principles covered in Canada's Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act ("PIPEDA"). See Personal Information (below) for a list of the types of personal information which we collect from you subject to this Policy when you do business with us.
2. Identifying Purposes
- Hikma is responsible for personal information under its control.
- We have designated a Privacy Officer who is accountable for our compliance with this Policy and all applicable privacy laws.
- All Hikma employees are responsible for day-to-day compliance.
- When we use trusted third parties to act on our behalf by performing such functions as fulfilling orders, delivering packages, processing credit card payments or providing customer service, contractual or other appropriate means are used to ensure compliance by such third parties with this Policy and all applicable privacy laws.
- Unless the purpose is self-evident due to the nature of the transaction in question, Hikma will identify the purposes for which personal information is collected at or before the time the information is collected.
- The proposed purposes will be described in a reasonably understandable manner.
- An example of a self-evident purpose is requesting the name and address of the person placing an order in order to ensure proper delivery.
4. Limiting Collection
- We will collect, use or disclose your personal information only with your knowledge and consent, except where required or permitted by law.
- Hikma will not make your consent a requirement to the supply of a product or a service other than required to be able to supply the product or service.
- Consent can be express or, in some circumstances, implied, and given in writing, by using or not using a check-off box, electronically, orally (in person or by telephone), or by your conduct, such as use of a product or service.
- In determining the type of consent to obtain, Hikma will consider all relevant factors, including the sensitivity of the information and your reasonable expectations.
- You may withdraw your consent at any time, on reasonable notice, subject to legal or contractual restrictions. Hikma will inform you of the implications of doing so.
5. Limiting Use, Disclosure, and Retention
- The collection of personal information by Hikma will be limited to what is necessary for the purposes which it identifies.
- We will collect personal information by fair and lawful means.
- Personal information will not be used or disclosed for purposes other than those for which it was collected, except with your consent or as required or permitted by law.
- It will be retained only as long as necessary for these purposes or as required by law.
We will keep your personal information as accurate, complete and up-to-date as necessary for the purposes for which it is to be used.
- Hikma will protect personal information by security safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity of the information, including through the use of the following measures: technological (e.g., passwords, encryption) and training of employees.
9. Individual Access
- Information about our policies and practices relating to the management of personal information will be made readily available to individuals.
10. Contacting us and/or Challenging Compliance
- Upon request, Hikma will inform you of the existence, use and disclosure of personal information relating to you, and give you access to that information. You have the right to challenge the accuracy and completeness of your information and have it amended as appropriate.
- However, in certain circumstances permitted by law, this information will not be disclosed to you. Some examples of these circumstances are information that contains references to other individuals, that cannot be disclosed for legal, security or commercial proprietary reasons, or that is subject to solicitor-client or litigation privilege.
- We do not knowingly collect or solicit personal information from anyone under the age of eighteen or knowingly allow such persons to register. If you are under the age of eighteen, please do not attempt to register or send any information about yourself to us, including your name, address, telephone number, or email address. In the event that we learn that we have collected personal information from an individual under the age of eighteen, we will remove that information as quickly as possible. If you believe that we might have any information from or about a person under the age of eighteen, please contact us.
Of course, this Policy is subject to PIPEDA and/or any other applicable privacy laws and Hikma's right to change it at any time.
- For anything to do with this Policy, including questions or comments, or to challenge our compliance with this Policy, please contact us as follows: Hussein Hamdani, Privacy Officer Hikma Books Inc. 1569 Riley Avenue, Burlington ON L7M 3G2 email: firstname.lastname@example.org Hikma will inform individuals who make enquiries or lodge complaints about its enquiry or complaint procedures, as applicable. If a complaint is found to be justified, we will take appropriate measures, including, if necessary, amending our policies and practices.
Personal Information which Hikma Collects from You and How Hikma Uses It
Last updated on December 13, 2008.
Hikma asks for your name, address, email address, and other personal information when you create an account online. You will also be asked for personal information when you make an online purchase, or enter into contests or promotions. This information is used to process your orders and to allow us to communicate with you. The information also enables Hikma to customize products or services to better meet your preferences and to offer you products and services from Hikma and other sources that may be of interest to you.
When you register with Hikma as a Registered User, you create your own profile and privacy settings. Your profile information, as well as your name and photo, are displayed to people using the Hikma website.
If you choose to use our invitation service to tell a friend about our site, we will ask you for your friend's email address. We will automatically send your friend a one-time email inviting him or her to visit the site. Hikma stores this information to send this one-time email, to register a friend connection if your invitation is accepted, and to track the success of our referral program. Your friend may contact us to request that we remove this information from our database.
Access and control over most personal information is readily available through the profile editing tools. You may modify or remove any of your profile information at any time by logging into your account and profile. Individuals may hide content including lists, posts and reviews, with the exception of comments, by marking their profile private. If you wish to deactivate your profile, including your online account, please contact the Hikma Community administrator using the email address provided. Removed information may persist in backup copies for a reasonable period of time but will not be generally available to visitors on the website. Where you make use of the communication features of the service to share information with other individuals on Hikma, however, (e.g., posting comments) you generally cannot remove such communications.
Promotional Offers - How to Unsubscribe - Occasionally we send promotional offers to selected groups of Online Hikma customers for offers from Hikma itself, or for offers where we have joined with another business for such promotions. When we do this, we do not give that business your name and address. Such offers will always contain an unsubscribe option so you may indicate if you do not wish to receive any future offers. You can also opt to receive coupons, exclusive offers, special event invitations, and announcements of new releases.
Hikma is not in the business of selling customer information to others.
Statistical Reports - Hikma may also use personal account information and data collected through your personal identification to generate statistics and aggregate reports for internal use and for sharing with affiliates, subsidiaries, licensees, successors and advertisers. These statistics and aggregate reports will not contain any information that could identify you personally.
As a Registered User of the Hikma Community we may, from time to time, email to you publicly available information about other Registered Users of the Hikma Community, at our discretion.